Gender Reel 2012
The 2nd Annual Gender Reel Festival is just around the corner!
The first of its kind on the east coast, Gender Reel, is the only multi-media festival dedicated to enhancing the visibility of gender non-conforming and transgender artists in film, photography, art and performance. The 2012 festival features: 20 films, 8 artists/photographers, 10 performance artists, 3 panels and 4 workshops.
According to Gender Reel Chair, Joe Ippolito, "Gender Reel 2012 is going to be another great year. The festival has grown in a number of ways, including expanding our venue location to the William Way Community Center, adding more performance art to the mix and offering more hands on art and film workshops to our patrons. I am happy to report that Gender Reel does exactly what we envisioned it doing when we came up with the idea in November 2010 in that it is providing a safe, supportive and empowering place where Gnc/TG people can display their multi-media art work."
2012 Festival Highlights include:
- Friday, 9/7 Opening Wine & Cheese Opening Reception @ 6 pm. Free to anyone who wants to attend.
- Friday, 9/7 @ 7:30 PM: Discussion and performance by notable guest and performance artist, Ignacio Rivera, from NYC.
- 50 day collaboration of art between Gender Reel and the William Way Community Center's LGBTQ Art Gallery. This collaboration runs from 9/7/12- 10/26/12.
- Saturday, 9/9 @ 11 AM: The Painted Self: The return of last year’s heavily attended water color workshop facilitated by Gender Reel's very own Sam Richman.
- Saturday, 9/8 @ 3 PM: The Final Cut: This panel explores how mainstream portrayals of people of color in film and television impact the lives of queer people of color.
- Saturday, 9/8 @ 4:30 PM: TransHISTORY: This workshop explores the history of transgender people in film.
- Saturday, 9/8 @ 9 PM: MixTape, Gender Reel's surgery fundraising party, returns as a collaborative effort with the organizers of BLITZ. Location: Tabu Lounge & Sports Bar. Cover: $5-$10.
- Sunday, 9/9 @ 4 PM: Panel Discussion with the filmmaker of "Trans," the 2012 award winning documentary.
Other films to see: Facing Mirrors; Trans, America's Most Wanted; Gold Moon, Sharp Arrow, Makes Me Want to Believe, Present Continuous, Transpass, A Difference, Austin Unbound, I Am Queen, The Sisterhood, Bye, Bye Baby Box, Transsexual Dominatrix, I am Trans, Sisterhood, Akin, Against the Grain, Gloucerter City, My Town, Taki Mam, Glen or Glenda.
Other artists & performers to catch: Bo Luengsuraswat, Jaden Rogers, Josephine Yuonne Paulovic, Markus Harwood-Jones, Takeya Trayer, Krissy Mahan, Sarah Barnard, Chance DeSilvah, Ignacio Rivera, Qian Li, Gender Edge, Justin Deforest and Radium Angels.
$20.00 All Festival Pass (except MixTape)
$10.00 Day Pass (except MixTape)
$100.00 Group Pass (6+ people, except MixTape).
2012 Gender Reel Sponsors: Leeway Foundation, Christin McGinn, Safeguards, Kathy Rumor & Galaei.
To find out more about Gender Reel’s 2012 programming, vending options (limited spots available until 8/15), ticket prices and more please consult our website @ www.genderreelfest.com.
Other questions can be directed to Gender Reel Chair Joe Ippolito @ firstname.lastname@example.org and/or by calling 267-974-4259.